Monday 21 May 2018

ONE EXTRA DEGREE


ONE  EXTRA  DEGREE
                  -   Meena  Dutta
            “Ey Moti, Chal Masters National Swimming meet ke liye chaltey hain”, said my brother Vijay, just as he stepped into our Colaba Marshal House, after his diving stint at Singapore offshore. He is a commercial deep sea-diver who inherited the skill from one of the first diver of Indian Navy and our Father, Cdr VP Bakhshi , NM (Retd). Youngest of the three sisters, I had been plump as a Kid and was nick named Moti. 
          “Tell me Chiru (his pet name), Are you seriously joking? You think I can compete after having said sayonara to competitive swimming in school and college, a couple of decades ago.” I said as a matter of fact.
          “Come on. All of us have been good swimmers. You have been Ladies swimming instructor at ENC swimming pool for a year. Besides let me tell you, that in Masters Nationals you shall be competing against your own age group rivals.” The last words of Vijay resounded with melancholy sweetness and germinated hope in some unknown recess of my mind. In Vizag my Lady pupils used to ask me whether I’d been to Nationals, purely due to my style and ease of limb coordination.
          I quietly asked my hubby, “Raj, you think I should give it a try. Vijay’s friend and his sister are going too. It’s a two day affair at Rajkot after 2 weeks. Vijay has agreed to arrange for the train/hotel bookings ”
         ”Why not, just go …You should go and do your best…Don’t worry about the affairs here”, said Raj, who himself was on sick-leave recuperating from his Bypass Surgery at Asvini. 

          For the next two weeks my younger son, Anuj religiously accompanied me, for an hour every evening to the Command Swimming pool. He was my motivator cum timekeeper and coxed me into improving my performance stroke by stroke, second by second. This was the same pool where where our father taught us the nuances of competitive swimming.   

          “Raj, My event is about to start in 15 mins and Iam feeling too nervous. I have qualified for the 50m front crawl Finals after the heats in which I was second..I don’t think, I have even an outside chance of a Medallion.”, I stammered into my mobile. 
         “Why are You nervous? Me not going to divorce you if you don’t bring one…But do your Best…remember that 361 degrees circle, that one extra degree…that 212 degrees latent heat that converts water into steam…Giving your best is important…Leave the rest to Him ”, I only half heard what he said, my mind and ears racing for the Finals announcement of my event at the Rajkot Pool conducting the Masters National .

          As the Gunshot was fired, all 8 of us leapt forward and started slicing though the blue clean waters of our respective lanes..Subconsciously at the half way mark I felt there were 3 or four swimmers ahead of me…Unmindful of one extra degree or 212 degrees, I was just giving my heart and Soul to every stoke after stroke, stroke after stroke…Time seemed to expand, it appeared a never ending ordeal….
          The last few strokes were the toughest , as I could see my students come in front of my eyes, yelling at me, “Ma’m , Do or Die, Ma’m do it”, just as I used to coax them during inter House competitions in NCS (Navy Children’s School). I held my breath and attempted to cross my breaking strength.
          The winner of my heats touched the finish wall a couple of seconds before me. As I touched, my time-keeper welcomed me with a smile, ”Congrats for the Silver, Ma’m”, even as I gathered my breath, having stopped and held it still for a few strokes before the finish, …I looked to my sides, It was a photo finish for the Bronze.
          “Raj, I got the Silver…Winner of my heats was 3 secs ahead of me…no cribs, I’ am so Happy…Can you repeat that one extra degree and that latent 212 degrees you were telling me an hour ago…I swear, I’ ll listen…”, I choked with emotions…”My next event, the breast stroke Finals is at 8pm , but no sweat …my day is made….Love You, for all your support…I’ am missing Anuj, my mentor motivator Son…I’ll give him a call at night”, I chirruped with joy… Now I can proudly tell everyone, I’ am a Medalist in National Swimming…… Yahooooo.

2030 pm....   “Raj, I’ve got another Silver just now, in the Breast stroke event too…There was a protest from the bronze winner as she photo finished with me. The jury decided in my favour based on the lane judges’ statements..During the prize distribution the Bronze winner gave me dirty looks , even as I shook hands with her with a smile…She later became friends having reconciled…Both my events are over and Bina’s events are scheduled tomorrow…Our return journey is booked for a day after tomorrow..But I shall start back by bus tomorrow morning itself…Yahan kuchh karne ke liye hai bhi nahi” I told Raj, after my breast stroke event…I wanted to be back with my family ASAP. 

            Next morning I took a semi-luxury ST bus to Surat from where I was to take another bus to ST stand opp Mumbai Central. My journey till Surat ST depot was uneventful. I reached there a little after 6pm and I’d missed my connecting bus..The staff there told me that my next bus would be a semi-luxury bus departing at 11 pm. I plonked my briefcase and bag on a bench and settled down with a magazine…I could see quizzical bystanders ogling. Just then a supari munching middle aged Gujju came and sat on the bench and asked, “Kyan jao chho?”…

“Gujarati nathi”, I said…
He repeated in Hindi ”Aap ko kahan jana hai ?”……
I said, “Mumbai” 
“Akela?”
“Haan, Mein Rajkot Swimming Nationals se Aa rahi hoon”…I thought I was revealing too much in excitement.
“Hamare yahan, Aurat log akela travel nahi kartey.”
“Mujhe koi problem nahi, Main ek Fauji ki beti aur ek Fauji ki biwi hoon…” I reluctantly replied.

There was a very long silence. 

“Hamare yahan, Auratein raat ko akele travel nahi karti”.I decided not to respond.

“Mujhe aaj raat gyarah bajje ki train se Amdavaad jana hai”..he took out his ticket to show me…
“Hum log yahan time barbad kar rahe hain. Hum Auto kar ke station chaltey hain, wahan se mein apna train le loonga, Aap Mumbai ka train pakad lena.”

“Nahi mein yahin theek hoon, mein gyarah bajje ki bus loongi”…I felt something fishy and started reading my magazine.

            My bus arrived at about 11 pm, this man put his bag through the window, even as people started crowding both the doors…”Madam Aap ka seat rok liya hai, Aap ko koi problem nahi hoga…Aavjo…Happy journey”…I got in the bus and sat and thanked him from the window…He was there till the bus left… I, till today couldn’t figure out the true nature of that person, who offered me a lift to the station in an Auto…But by his presence at the bench, the ogling onlookers had vanished.. He possibly happened to be a God sent Samaritan. 
Next morning as the bus pulled into the Mumbai ST stand, Raj and Anuj were there to greet me with most warming hugs, as I flashed the two Silver medals From my hand bag....

          In the next Tambola prelude at US Club Raj mentioned this achievement and summed it up with....
Waqt se lad kar jo apna naseeb badal de,
insaan wahi jo apni taqdeer badal de.
kal kya hoga yeh na socho yaro,
kya pata kal insaan khud Waqt ki lakeer badal de....(Anonymous)


                                                             BINA  AND  MEENA


                                                       RECEIVING   THE   AWARD


ABOUT  THE  AUTHOR ; Meena is the wife of Cdr Rajinder Dutta (Retd), who has been a teacher for 15 years. An adventurist, she has accompanied ENC children for Nepal trek in 1996. She has done parasailing, waterskiing  and won the Valsura Ladies Half-Marathon thrice. Her hobbies include Dress designing and Photography.







No comments:

Post a Comment